Version 4.16 (March 24, 2015)
- Fixed: A file progress issue in build 4.15.
Version 4.15 (March 23, 2015)
- Fixed: Build issues on Linux and Mac.
Version 4.14 (February 18, 2015)
- Fixed: File progress wasn't working in 4.13.
Version 4.13 (February 3, 2015)
- Fixed: Improved support for files greater than 2GB.
Version 4.12 (June 26, 2013)
- Changed: Numerous fixes for OSX and 64-bit compatibility.
Version 4.11 (January 20, 2013)
- NEW: Switched from MMX to SSE assembly, making compression and decompression faster.
- NEW: Switched to latest Microsoft compiler, making everything around 5% faster.
- Changed: Removed support for old Monkey's Audio 3.92 and earlier files (it hasn't been possible to make these files for over ten years -- use an old copy of Monkey's Audio to convert these files to the latest format if you have any).
- Changed: Fixed a few compiler warnings.
- Changed: Removed dependence on third-party NASM assembly compiler in favor of intrinsics (which compile nicely with all major compilers).
- Changed: Put all Monkey's Audio source code into a namespace APE so that linking into third-party projects should never have name collisions.v
- Changed: Switched from #ifndef/endif to #pragma once (now supported by any reasonable compiler).
Version 4.10 (April 16, 2011)
- Changed: When compressing a file, the input WAV file is always opened in read-only mode (writes were never done, but previously the input WAV would only be opened in read-only mode if write permissions were not available).
- Changed: Updated to newer nasm compiler for MMX assembly.
- Changed: Updated the console application (MAC.exe) to support Unicode filenames (GUI has always had Unicode support).
- Changed: Removed obsolete Unicode compatibility DLL (unicows.dll) from the installer (only used by Win 9x).
Version 4.09 (March 28, 2011)
- Changed: Updated to an icon that looks nicer on Windows 7 (sorry, still a monkey).
- Changed: Updated copyright dates.
Version 4.07 / 4.08
- Internal testing builds not released to the public.
Version 4.06 (March 17, 2009)
- Fixed: In rare cases, a corrupt frame could output as noise instead of silence when the decoder was ignoring errors.
Version 4.05 (February 3, 2009)
- Fixed: Directshow filter would fail to register on some systems.
- Changed: Added CompressFileW2, DecompressFileW2, etc. functions that take a C++ interface as a callback for easier usage in multi-threaded environments. (as opposed to the old static function callback)
Version 4.04 (February 2, 2009)
- Fixed: Directshow filter had an unnecessary dependence on a MSVC system dll.
Version 4.03 (January 21, 2009)
- Changed: Added a help link to the help menu to show the included help file.
Version 4.02 (January 19, 2009)
- New: Includes Directshow filter for decoding APE files in any DirectShow compatible player like Windows Media Player, Zoom, etc.
- Fixed: Corrupt APE files could cause decoder crashes in rare cases.
- Changed: Updated builder that gets better compression, making for a smaller download.
Version 4.01b2 (February 17, 2006)
- Fixed: File > Exit would not close the program.
- Fixed: Typo on the options dialog "Leave source file intact" option.
- Fixed: APX files that weren't NULL terminated could cause a crash.
- Fixed: Files that were skipped would show "Error" instead of "Skipped" in the status column.
- Changed: Improved the error reporting in the status column after a failure.
- Fixed: Possible small memory leak (100 bytes) on missing file decompression / conversion errors.
- Changed: Increased the statusbar size to better hold batches of 100+ GBs of files.
- Changed: The file list will scroll to show newly started files during processing.
- Fixed: Adding or removing files from the file list is no longer allowed during processing.
- Changed: Pausing processing no longer distorts the time estimation.
- Fixed: Some operations would not pause properly. (external encoders, etc.)
- Fixed: The list control would flicker more than necessary when working with long lists of files.
Version 4.01b1 (January 8, 2006)
- New: Features new user interface. (written in C++ and threaded for dual-core computers -- making it nearly twice as fast to compress, decompress, and convert with a dual-core setup)
- New: New interface supports external codecs using simple XML configuration scripts.
- Changed: MACDll.dll is unified to include SDK, Winamp, and CoolEdit support in one component.
- Fixed: Corrupt / invalid APEv2 tags could cause problems in some cases.
- Fixed: APL creation could use track boundaries that were off by 1/44100th of a second in some cases.
- Fixed: APL creation would not properly report errors when the CUE file didn't point to an existing APE file.
- Fixed: In very rare cases, decoding an old APE file could cause an invalid decompression error.
- Fixed: When converting from APE -> APE, the APEv2 tag could get appended as WAV data to the new file. (instead of as a file tag)
Version 3.99 (April 29, 2004)
- Changed: Decoding engine better at handling corrupt streams / loss of internet connection while playing.
- Changed: Simplified assembly code building for 3rd party developers.
- New: Improved entropy coder for increased compression.
- Changed: Removed RKAU support. (since it is no longer commonly used)
Version 3.97 (August 2, 2002)
- Changed: "Save File List Between Sessions" now on by default in front end.
- Changed: Replaced usage of "#pragma once" with more non-MS compiler friendly alterternative.
- New: MakeAPL now supports command line APL generation. (pass a .CUE file (no wildcards yet) -- operates in silent mode using existing settings)
- Changed: Assembly support no longer required for backwards compatibility. (thanks Torgeir Strand Henriksen)
- Changed: Several non-Windows buildability issues.
- Changed: Using NASM to compile all assembly code. (aids cross-platform buildability)
- Changed: Encapsulated the APELink code.
- Changed: Tags aren't analyzed immediately when opening an http:// or m01p:// stream.
- Changed: Added more functionality to the APL parser.
- Changed: Added CreateIAPEDecompressEx2(...) to allow the creation of a ranged decoder.
Version 3.96 (April 7, 2002)
- Fixed: WAV analysis could hang on invalid wav files.
- Changed: Monkey's Audio would try to analyze files with file extensions not related to Monkey's Audio.
- New: Added APE_DECOMPRESS_AVERAGE_BITRATE field so APL's can report the bitrate for the region they represent.
- Changed: Improved overall non-Windows build-ability. (MACLib.lib doesn't require <windows.h> to build)
- Changed: APL parser no longer requires Windows.
- Fixed: APE tagging code would fail to save tags for files with existing ID3v1 tags.
- Fixed: MakeAPL would not run on Win95 / 98.
- Changed: More non-Windows build-ability issues.
- Changed: Minor assembly optimizations. (like a 2% performance improvement)
- Changed: MACLib now builds with gcc under Linux. (no backwards compatibility or assembly support yet)
- Fixed: Bitstream fix / change that may have accounted for decompression failures in extremely rare cases.
- Changed: Slight NNFilter optimization. (thanks to Chun-Yu Shei)
- Changed: Turned off "Explorer" by default for the Monkey's Audio GUI. (doesn't work well under XP... will still leave it in for a while)
- Changed: Included the WavPack 3.93.
- Changed: Changed the history reporting method.
Version 3.95 beta
- New: Improved compression engine for better overall compression
- Changed: Modularized compression input logic, so MAC could easily support formats other than WAV
- Changed: Some SDK tweaks and optimizations
- Fixed: Fixed a crashy bug introduced in 3.94 (caused when using MACDll.dll from VB)
Version 3.94 beta
- New: Rewritten compression engine for increased efficiencies and cleaner, more consistent code base
- New: Decompression (of new files) is done natively block-by-block so there won't be uneven CPU usage anymore during playback
- New: Significantly improved SDK
- Changed: Bit stream optimizations that help compression speed (at least on Win2K and WinXP)
- Changed: APL system now natively supported by MAC (GUI and everywhere else)... no longer a hack
- Fixed: Fixed an auto-renaming bug where ape files got the .wav extension
- Fixed: Several other little things
Version 3.92 beta
- New: Monkey's Audio now comes with the latest APE Cool Edit filter (in the tools directory)
- Changed: Added .mpc support to the Monkey's Audio front-end and changed the default mp+ extension to mpc
- Changed: Made a bunch of fixes and improvements to the APL creation tool included with MAC
- Fixed: Playback plugin now version checks the file format against the plugin format for Media Jukebox playback
- Fixed: Fast forwarding "past" the end of songs could crash Winamp
- Fixed: Removing / saving a tag of a read-only file could hang the APE file info dialog.
- Fixed: Tag + Rename in Monkey's Audio always renamed files to .ape regardless of their type.
Version 3.91 beta
- Fixed: Fixed a bug where the file properties couldn't be viewed when a file was playing
- Fixed: Fixed a bitstream bug (from the new 3.90 bitstream) where 24-bit files could fail to compress
Version 3.90 beta
- New: New advanced bitstream format that gets better compression with very little speed difference
- New: New compression interface available via the SDK that's nice, clean, and fully supports on-the-fly encoding
- Changed: Other compression improvements to fast, normal, and high modes
- New: The overall progress now displays in the window caption and task-bar during processing.
- Changed: Improved progress updating for external encoders.
- Fixed: Peak level analysis works again... may need to convert files to the new version to fix them. (only affects 3.89 and 3.90 files)
- Fixed: Other speed and stability fixes.
- Fixed: Fixed a bug causing compression to fail if the WAV file had certain format fields wrong in its header (block align, bytes/sec)
Version 3.89 beta
- New: Added preliminary playback support for APL files (APE link files, for playback from Image & CUE Sheet combos)
- New: Added 24-bit playback support for Media Jukebox and Winamp
- Changed: Bitstream is now a lot more robust and unbreakable (and faster :)
- New: Added sample-perfect seeking (can seek precisely to any sample)
- New: Created a buffering system for both playback and encoding, which should be super handy for anyone using the SDK (to be documented later)
- Fixed: Fixed a problem where tracks with tons of pure silence or with a frame that took an amazing number of bits could fail to be decoded (or possibly encoded)
- Fixed: Fixed a tagging bug related to the new tagging system where the genre could show up as a number
- Changed: Made the output location selection in Monkey's Audio a little clearer
- Fixed: Changed what dll's get installed for VB/NT compatibility... hopefully everything keeps working for everyone
Version 3.88 beta
- New: New tagging format... flexible and unlimited... all saving of new tags is done in this format
- New: MAC will now create the output directory if you specify a directory that doesn't exist (supports multiple levels)
- New: APE Info dialog now displays compressed and uncompressed file sizes
- New: Added an option to automatically verify the creation of all APE files to Monkey's Audio
- New: Added the option to stop processing after an error was encountered in Monkey's Audio
- Changed: All I/O is now encapsulated, which should make porting much easier
- Changed: Removed native http:// support from the MAC library. Now supported only through Media Jukebox or Winamp 3 readers. (sorry, may break Media Jukebox 6 Server streaming, but it will work with Media Jukebox 7)
- Changed: Optimized the bit stream decoder
- Fixed: Monkey's Audio would crash if you named a crazy file .ape and tried to use it.
- Changed: The decoder now reads data in much smaller blocks... will hopefully help people with slow hard drives
- Fixed: Fixed several internal library bugs... too lazy to explain them all.
Version 3.87 beta 2
- Fixed: Fixed the erroneous warning message about MACDll.dll not being found when starting MAC
- Fixed: Fixed a possible version conflict with "Explorer Control.ocx"
Version 3.87 beta
- New: Great new help file. (thanks a million Anthony Oetzmann)
- Changed: The Winamp plugin and console front-end (MAC.exe) now have no external dependencies.
- Changed: Monkey's Audio now only uses one non-system dll: MACDll.dll.
- Changed: Changed to the 'standard' genre list of 148 genres everywhere.
- Changed: MAC will now ask you if you're sure when you attempt to erase the tag from an APE file.
- Changed: MAC.exe now displays what compression mode it is compressing with
- Changed: Updates the Media Jukebox 7 / Monkey's Audio integration functions.
- Fixed: Fixed the tab order in the options dialog
- Changed: The 'Remove Tag' button in the file info dialog is disabled for untagged files.
- Fixed: Fixed a few possible file locking and/or memory leaking bugs
- Changed: Monkey's Audio will now be much more "low resolution" friendly by default
Version 3.86 beta 2
- New: Added a handy MRU list to the "Add File" button.
- New: MAC now dynamically loads the built-in explorer, and automatically steps in and disables it if it causes any problems.
- New: Added .mp2 support.
- Changed: MAC now remembers its last window position instead of just starting in the middle of the screen.
- Fixed: Stopped the built-in explorer from grabbing the 'Enter' key and firing up your player.
- Fixed: Fixed the spelling of 'Bottom' in the options dialog. (doh)
- Fixed: Fixed a problem with adding files where the extension was in all caps.
Version 3.86 beta 1
- Changed: Rewrote the bitstream functions. It's the first time the bitstream has changed formats since the 1.xx's. Bitstream encoding is now quite a bit faster, and it achieves slightly better compression.
- Changed: Added file-type masking to the drag-n-drop, add files, add folder, context menus, and mode switching. Very convenient, but my head hurts.
- Changed: MAC will now give an error if you attempt to do something with an external encoder that you don't have. (instead of piecing out)
- New: Added a tooltip to show the status of a file in the file list. Handy for errors that get truncated.
- Fixed: Fixed a bug where MAC.dll wouldn't always 'gracefully' deal with encoding errors.
- Fixed: Fixed a bug with the explorer context-menu's
- Changed: Updated the compression menu LAME link to the new site
Version 3.85 beta
- Changed: Added double-buffering in a separate thread while playing remote files (MJ server, http:// stream, etc.)
- New: Added an optional file explorer to the Monkey's Audio program
- New: Created a 'lite' version of the toolbar
- Fixed: Improved ID3v2 tag handling
- Fixed: Fixed a bug that caused playback time to get off by a few seconds on super long songs
- New: Added Media Jukebox 7 information functions to the playback plugin (seamless integration with MJ)
Version 3.84 beta
- Fixed: Fixed a decompression bug that would cause a false "invalid checksum" if the WAV header size wasn't a multiple of 4
- Changed: 8-bit files should now compress about 1% or so better
Version 3.83 beta
- New: New 'extra high' mode... beefed up from the previous version... even better compression, but a bit slower
- New: Added detection of 'pure' silence, so now pure silence takes basically no space.
- New: Added fake-stereo detection (mono split to stereo) for improved compression on these tracks (common on CD's made from old mono recordings)
- New: Added CPU load-balancing mechanism for the playback of 'extra high' files to keep CPU usage more even.
- Changed: Removed "Bit Array Size" setting from the Winamp plugin... even I didn't know what changing the setting really did.
- Changed: Added "CPU Load Balancing" settting to the Winamp plugin.
- Fixed: Fixed a bug in the non-MMX 'extra high' decoding routine.
- Fixed: Fixed a bug with 24-bit encoding introduced with the last beta.
- Fixed: Fixed the alignment of the "time" column inside of the interface.
- Fixed: Hopefully fixed a bug causing the MAC to crash when it was switched to "minimize to tray"
Version 3.82 beta
- Fixed: Fixed a bug in the new assembly decoding routine that could cause a false "invalid checksum" error
- Fixed: Fixed a bug with the Winamp plugin installation from within Monkey's Audio... now MAC will close so the system files won't be locked
- Changed: Added some version checking to the Winamp plugin
Version 3.81 beta
- Fixed: Fixed a memory leak in MAC.dll
- Fixed: Fixed a bug causing temporary files to not get properly deleted after compression
- New: Support for on-the-fly encoding... will make ripping much nicer once rippers add support for APE
- New: On-the-fly conversion of your APE files... now it's a lot faster to upgrade your collection to the newest version
- New: Convert now skips the file if you're going from APE->APE and the version and compression levels match (add your whole music folder, do a 'Convert', and it'll only convert the stuff it has to)
- New: Added several keyboard shortcuts to make using Monkey's Audio a little easier
- New: Improved error reporting (no more numbers :)
- New: Can now order the file list by dragging items around
- New: Can now display the free space for any drive in the status bar (click to pick which drive)
- New: "Output to Specified Directory" now has an MRU list...
- Changed: Added mp+ ID3v1.1 tag support
- New: Can now copy the file list to the clipboard (useful for saving reports, etc.) (File menu or Ctrl+C)
- Changed: Toolbar buttons with no current function are now disabled (i.e. "Clear Files" when the list is empty)
- Changed: Bitstream decoder completely re-written in assembly... now quite a bit snappier :)
- Fixed: Fixed a bug causing the console front end to crash if you gave it bad parameters
- Fixed: Fixed a bug where tags were created with trailing spaces instead of trailing nulls
- Fixed: Tag and rename now does just that: tag, then rename (was renaming then tagging...)
- Fixed: Fixed a bug with the "Suppress Silence" feature causing divide by zero errors at the end of some songs
- Changed: Almost a complete re-write of UnMAC.dll... it's finally class-based, thread safe, and all that good stuff... look for the new SDK to follow fairly soon
- New: APE files now work fine when tagged with ID3v2 tags
- Fixed: Fixed a bug causing 24-bit files to not play properly from Winamp when "Scaling" was turned on
- New: Added Media Jukebox information loading/saving functions to the Winamp plugin... makes Media Jukebox work with APE files quite a bit nicer
- Changed: A few little speed tweaks... (it's getting harder and harder to find places that I can speed up...)
- Changed: Seek information stored more efficiently now... files will be a few kb smaller, and error recovery/patching will be much easier
- Fixed: Learned how to spell "success" :)
- Changed: Complete remake of the 'extra high' mode... tons better compression and a lot of MMX assembly for speed :)
- Changed: Some fairly substantial speed/compression improvements to 'normal' and 'high' as well
- New: Winamp plugin can now optionally suppress long passages of silence
- Fixed: Fixed a file sharing bug that could cause sporadic "error decompressing frame" messages while playing
- Fixed: Reworked the compress/decompress/convert/etc... logic (and fixed the bug causing APE to mp+ conversion to fail)
- Fixed: Monkey's Audio now works fine with wav's that have extra chunks before the 'fmt ' chunk
- Changed: A lot of internal changes that don't make that much difference on the outside, but they're good none the less...
- Changed: No more local copies of documentation... now Monkey's Audio just links to this site
- Fixed: Fixed a bug with decompressing 'extra high' files from 3.70
- Fixed: Fixed a bug causing the file version to be displayed goofy in the file info dialog
- New: Can now "ignore" bitstream errors during playback... you'll just get a little silence
- New: http:// streaming support... would be better, but it's hard to tune with a 56k modem ;)
- New: support for Media Jukebox server format... (I would say more, but it's still top secret...just trust me, it's pretty cool)
- Changed: Monkey's Audio now remains totally responsive while acting as a front-end for other coders; also, new pop-up windows will be minimized if Monkey's Audio is minimized
- Changed: The beginning of some architecture changes that you'll hopefully never notice (but they make programming Monkey's Audio much nicer)
- Changed: An even better 'High' mode
- Changed: Shell extensions should now work with basically any program (Winamp, Media Jukebox, etc.)
- Fixed: No longer prompts to install Winamp plugin on first run (since setup should take care of this)
- Fixed: VBR display is no longer crazy for last one or two frames
- New: Now supports Ogg Vorbis as an external coder (oggenc.exe)
- Changed: No more ERROR 1002's for a lot of people....I just removed a bunch of security checking, because there are a lot of popular programs that don't make fully valid WAV files
- Changed: New and greatly improved "high" mode
- Changed: Improved "extra high" mode
- Changed: Added support for RKAU 1.05 (with multiple modes)
- Changed: Added support for MP+ compression
- New: Can now preserve the time stamp of the source file(s) on any new files created
- New: Can now play an annoying sound when processing finishes (or you can replace the annoying sound with your own)
- New: Updated the included VB run-times to the newest available (Visual Studio 6 - SP4)
- Fixed: Monkey's Audio should now fail if it runs out of disk space (instead of creating garbage files and saying that it was successful)
- Fixed: Should do a better job of cleaning up after errors (freeing memory, removing files, etc...)
- Fixed: A few other little fixes that I can't remember now...
- Changed: Loading file lists on startup and adding folders is now around 20x faster
- Fixed: Fixed a bug where external coder's configurations were being cleared when "Cancel" was pressed when configuring
- Changed: Fixed a bug that caused problems when Monkey's Audio was minimized during closing
- New: Fixed a bug causing files to be added more than once when adding a folder with "Add All Supported Types" selected
Version 3.50 beta
- New: Full support for external coders (LAME, MP3Enc, WavPack, RKAU, and Shorten)
- Changed: Completely new install / uninstall method (tons better)
- Changed: "Anti-prediction" code for 'Fast' mode is around 35% faster
- New: Can now optionally "scale" all output to 16-bit in Winamp....allows 24-bit playback and equalization and dsp for 8-bit and 24-bit files.
- Changed: "Recompress" has been changed to "Convert", and the output logic is now more consistent with all of the other modes
- Changed: Can now set the peak level at which to begin using on-the-fly normalization. (no point in normalizing a file that's already at 96%)
- New: Added an MRU list to the "Add Folder" menu
- New: Can now display an "expanded" toolbar with a button for each page of the options...nice if you run 1024x768 or above
- Changed: Clicking anywhere on the "Process" button when the file list is empty will show the mode selection menu
- Changed: Removed the separate tagging button and menu item
- Changed: Some pretty big speed-ups of decompress and verify resulting in performance that's up to 20% better overall
- New: Added the ability to pause during processing
- Changed: Added an "Apply" button to the options window
- Fixed: Fixed a bug that caused the "Output to Specified Directory" not to work
- Fixed: Fixed a bug that could cause part of the toolbar to disappear when changing modes
Version 3.40 beta
- Changed: Some pretty substantial improvements to the core compression algorithms...quite a bit more bang per CPU dollar (or cycle if you prefer) in every mode
- Changed: Reworked the front-end a bit...hopefully it's better looking now
- New: Added a common options / settings dialog for the main program
- New: Made more options for customizing how Monkey's Audio looks (can choose your own watermarks, etc.)
- New: Added a "View Mode Comparison" feature to the mode selection area
- New: Now displays "Total Time" for the last process (instead of just "Progress: 00.00%")
- New: Added a (hopefully) nice instruction screen for the tagging setup
- New: Can now optionally save the list of files between sessions
- New: Added a progress bar to the status bar for a convenient graphical display of the overall progress
- Changed: Made the Winamp plugin also support the old .MAC extension
- Changed: Changed the layout of the APE File Info dialog...tighter and hopefully better
- Changed: Changed the layout of the WAV File Info dialog
- Changed: Changed the nasty "mb" to "MB"...crazy millibytes... they'll get 'ya every time
- Changed: Changed "Done" to "OK" for the message after successful completion of a file
- Changed: Added a "Ctrl+A" shortcut to select all the files
- Fixed: Fixed a bug causing the length of large WAV files to not display properly in the file info dialog
- Fixed: Fixed a bug with MAC 3.30's 'extra high' mode (sorry about that)
- Changed: Some decompression speedups
- Changed: Changed it so the temp files are created in the same directory as the output file instead of the input file (makes way more sense)
- New: Monkey's Audio now supports 24-bit WAV files (still in beta, so possibly a little buggy)
- Changed: Main listview in Monkey's Audio is now multiselect...handy for removing files or playing a whole album or whatever
- Changed: Expanded right-click menu inside of Monkey's Audio (in the main listview dealie)
- Changed: Added "File Info" to the explorer shell extensions...can now right click on .ape or .wav files in explorer to quickly view file info and edit tags
- Changed: Changed the layout of the Winamp settings dialog....much tighter and better looking now (me thinks)
- Changed: Added escape key shortcuts to the Winamp and File Info dialogs to allow for quick exits
- New: File info dialog expanded to support .wav files
- New: New option to "leave existing tag fields alone" when tagging... makes it easy to just change certain parts of a tag, or add the track after EAC rips (since EAC isn't ID3 v1.1)
- Fixed: Fixed a minor bug in the output location setting inside of MAC
- New: Monkey's Audio now checks the MAC dll versions when loading (should help prevent a lot of problems)
- New: added this document (thanks a bunch Kim Erik Hang for typing up all of the old info)
- New: Attempting to run a second instance of Monkey's Audio now activates and displays the currently running version (can use the shortcut to restore the window)
- New: Can view dll versions from the about box
- New: Monkey's Audio now saves the load/save file dialog path between sessions
- New: APE Player can now load and save .m3u playlists
- Changed: Some algorithm optimization....saves around 15 seconds an album when compressing
- Changed: expanded file info dialog
- Changed: can now fill genre tag field from file and directory info when tagging
- Changed: the documentation for Monkey's Audio was put in sub-directory below the main directory
- Fixed: fixed a bug that caused the peak level not to be reset between encoding songs
- Fixed: fixed a bug that caused problems with read-only APE files
- Fixed: fixed a bug that caused UnMAC.dll to crash
- Fixed: fixed a volume setting bug in the APE Player
- New: added version tables to everything
- Changed: much less embarrassing APE Player (with better source code too)
- Fixed: several bug fixes to the front-end and Winamp plugin (auto-renaming bugs, errors when files are missing from playlists, etc...)
- New: fancy (actually crappy) dedicated and open-source APE player
- New: cool EAC patch to make it output the new .ape extension
- Changed: couple of other random tweaks and bug fixes
- Fixed: several bug fixes
- New: selectable thread priority
- New: minimizable to the system tray
- Fixed: fixed auto-tagging / auto-renaming bug(s)
- New: added "Verify" mode to the console front-end
- Changed: some install tweaks
- Fixed: bunch of bug fixes
- New: now uses intermediate temporary files during all processing options
- Changed: some front-end tweaks and improvements (right click menu…)
- Changed: now uses the extension .APE instead of .MAC
- New: includes a handy file extension renamer to ease the pain of renaming to APE, also handy if rippers won’t output the .ape extension
- New: can now optionally normalize during playback
- Changed: greatly expanded and improved help file
- New: make MAC rename files as it tags 'em
- Changed: new and improved about box
- New: it can now "Stop immediately" during processing
- Changed: some other stuff that I can’t remember
- Changed: now has finalized "Extra High" mode, about twice as fast as the beta, but with a slight compression degradation
- New: release of the Winamp plugin source code
- Changed: improved & fixed auto-tagging system (now can generate tags based on directory info)
- Changed: improved install routine, quite a few other little tweaks
- Fixed: bug fixes
- New: new "Recompress" mode to easily convert files to different compression levels (and maintain tags)
- Changed: tagging converted from ID3 to ID3 v1.1 (now has track field)
- New: a completely new install method that should be smaller and more convenient
- Fixed: some bug fixes (including 8-bit Winamp problems)
- Changed: greatly improved error detection (now uses CRC32’s)
- New: new "extra high" mode for when compression is crucial
- Changed: customizable Winamp file display mode
- Fixed: several bug fixes
- New: 8-bit support
- New: optional auto-tagging
- New: some theory documentation
- Fixed: quite a few bug fixes
- New: a convenient installer
- Fixed: a few tagging support bug-fixes
- Changed: some back-end code restructuring
- Fixed: fixed possible divide by zero error in Winamp plugin
Version 2.40 beta
- New: tag info is now editable from Winamp and MAC
- New: added a verify mode to verify .mac files
- Changed: several front-end tweaks and improvements
- Changed: a great deal of back-end code was rewritten
- Fixed: fixed a minor bug in the 'bit array size' setting in Winamp
- New: settings dialog added to the Winamp plugin
- Fixed: a few minor bugs fixed
- Changed: several 'back-end' improvements
- Fixed: several bug fixes
- Changed: improved console front end (unified regular and EAC front ends)
- New: now Monkey’s Audio can interface directly with EAC so that you can pop in a CD, click a button, and end up with compressed and tagged MAC files
- New: now features a console front-end
- Changed: dramatic decompression speedups (25% - 35%)
- Fixed: several bug fixes
- New: now has installable explorer shell extensions
- Changed: greatly improved Winamp tagging support
- Fixed: several bug fixes
- Changed: now fully supports ID3 tags
- New: redesigned interface (much sweeter)
- Fixed: several bug fixes
- Changed: improved the SDK and changed function calling conventions
- Fixed: fixed a few front-end bugs, NT compatibility problems gone
- New: added a cool icon
- New: now includes an SDK for developers that want to add Monkey’s technology to their own programs
- Changed: greatly increased the compression of "fast" mode
- Changed: sorry, broke backwards compatibility for fast mode files
- New: added some documentation
- Fixed: fixed a bug in the add folder option
- New: added an about dialog and a few other things to the front end
- Changed: front-end now fully supports drag-and-drop
- New: added the ability to add folders (with recursion)
- Changed: settings inside of MAC are now saved
- New: added ability to select compression level
- Changed: a few speed increases and front-end tweaks
- Changed: compression with new "maximum" mode is close to the best available
- Changed: backwards compatibility broken (sorry)
- Fixed: fixed Winamp plugin bug that caused a pause when starting a song
- New: included a special Pentium build of the Winamp plugin
- Fixed: minor bug fix in handling of WAV headers
- Changed: improved file format, slightly better compression and more error resistant
- Changed: sorry, backwards compatibility broken
- Fixed: fixes several bugs
- Fixed: hopefully fixed skipping problems during playback
- Fixed: added a couple more fixes to the Winamp plugin
- New: released MAC to the public for the first time
- Fixed: minor fix to Winamp playlist functioning
- Changed: significant speed increases
- Changed: less memory usage
- Changed: more powerful front-end
- Changed: compression and performance increases
- Changed: improved error checking and bitstream management
- Changed: everything is about 15% faster
- New: added several front-end features
- Changed: better front-end
- Changed: improved memory models
- Fixed: several bugfixes
- New: it now supports almost all WAV files (mono, low sample rates, etc.)
- New: also added support for "advanced" WAV files with regions, markers, playlists, etc. embedded in them.
- New: first public release version